Saenger Theatre
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

201 Forrest Street
Opened: November 27, 1929
Architect: Emile Weil

 

 

  The Hattiesburg Saenger Theatre opened on Thanksgiving Day in 1929. It was architect Emile Weil's last Saenger Theatre - the Saenger chain had been sold to Publix while the theatre was under construction.

ABC Interstate Theatres donated the building in 1974 to the City of Hattiesburg, which began operation of the theatre as a performing arts center under the name of the Saenger Center. Changes to the theatre at the time included structural repairs, simplification of the interior decoration scheme, & conversion of storefront commercial areas to gallery space. The theater was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in May of 1979.

Emile Weil's Art Deco theatre had some of its decoration obscured through the years, but it could still be seen peeking out here & there.

 

 

 

  Saenger Theatre in Hattiesburg - spring, 1999 In 1999, the City of Hattiesburg closed the theatre & began an extensive renovation campaign.  

 

 

Other information:

  Saenger Center, information from the Magnolia chapter of the ATOS  

 

  Back to the Saenger Theatres  

Next: the Majestic Theatre in Jackson, Mississippi